The Sustainability Plan and Guidelines were developed by Yachting Malta with the assistance of 11th Hour Racing, an international organisation that works within the sailing community and maritime industries to advance solutions and practises that protect and restore the health of our seas.
The aim of this plan is to adopt different practices that lead towards a more sustainable and environmentally friendly yachting sector.
- Eliminate the use of single use plastics for cutlery and replacing with either degradable (Bamboo or equivalent) or the traditional metal in food stalls/canteens;
- Eliminate the use of straws or at least replace with paper ones on request;
- Eliminate polystyrene take away boxes with carton type ones;
- Avoid plastic water bottles but distribute re-usable water bottles (such as aluminium) and make available refilling stations/dispensers;
- Eliminate use of balloons, plastic confetti in celebrations;
- Have adequately labelled bins available at event sites that encourage waste separation;